Thursday, May 1, 2008

Back to Work


A few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge to go back to work. Once I got a hold of my manager things have seemed to go very quickly, and I will be starting next week!! I will be working per Diem in the NICU at Kadlec Medical Center. There is a part time position open, and I have already been asked several times if I want to take it, but I think I will just start out per diem and see how things go. I am very excited and my anxiety is lifting. I am nervous about going back to 12 hour night shifts...that is always an adjustment. I am also feeling a little anxious because I have a lot to do to get ready to go back to work. I have 3 entire days of nursing orientation, on a 8:00 to 4:00 schedule. That was stressful, because I had to find childcare, but I think I've got it taken care of. After that I am starting a month of orientation with my very good friend Suzanne. She has been a NICU nurse for like 25 years...and is one of the very best. I look up to her very much. She is the one who trained me to be a NICU nurse in the beginning, so I was thrilled when she said she'd take me back! I know she will help me get back up to speed! I also have to give a shout out to my best friend Wendy who, even in that crappy first trimester of pregnancy, is helping me out a ton with the kids. There is a lot of day time stuff I have to get done in order to get going, and she has offered to help out soooo much!!! I don't know what I'd do without her. I owe her big time!

So, here I am...after months of debating on what to do...I am back in the NICU. The only thing I know in nursing. Where I feel at home. Where I look forward to showing up to work. Where I am in constant awe of those tiny little miracles. Where I love and totally respect the group of nurses I work with. Where I am constantly being challenged and get to use my brain and the skills I worked so hard to obtain. Where I get to give back to people in the most desperate situations.
Can you ask for anything better...I don't think so!
So, to all my nursing gals out there...I'll see you next week!

Here is a link to a virtual tour of the NICU at Kadlec if anyone is interested:
http://www.kadlecmed.com/facilities/qtvr3.html

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Kelly it will be great to have you back at work! We have all missed you.