Friday, May 30, 2008

A few things I love about my job....

I am back at work in the NICU...and I was thinking on my way home that there are some things just so amazing about my job...and here they are:

1. I love how you can be at a delivery a see a mom screaming her head off trying to get a baby out and the minute that little miracle pops out...she is amazed and her and her husband are crying in joy (or maybe relief!) nonetheless, it is the most amazing thing I think I will ever witness in my entire life...

2. I love how you can be in a c-section and everyone in the room is chatting and the room is loud and full of...well, just whatever...but the minute those dr.s start to bring that baby out, the entire room goes silent. The dr.'s are working very hard to get the baby out and it is almost like the entire room is saying a little prayer all at the same time...that the baby will come out perfect. When you hear that fist cry...everyone in the room breaths a sigh of relief.

3. I love how almost every time I am at work I get parents thanking me genuinely for helping their baby. They usually have eyes full of tears...and I usually do as well...and it feels so amazing to say to them "It is my pleasure..." As I have become a parent myself I feel a stronger connection to those parents and can't even imagine what they are going through and the strength they have to have to get through it. I find myself giving hugs a lot more then I used to...and crying with them more as well.

4. I love how you can take care of some really amazing kids...with amazing families, and you wonder often how they are doing after they leave. And then you might show up to work one day and see a photo of them a year later and that little 2-3 lb baby is now a big stalky toddler. I can't even tell you the sense of joy that brings.

5. I love that I have the most amazing co-workers who have the ability to take me away from all the intensity for a second and make me laugh my ass off....yet could turn around and help you save a baby in the next breath. How in the world did I get so lucky to be one of them?? I think sometimes even they forget how amazing they are...and how much their work means to people. This goes to everyone working there...but especially to Suzanne...who has made coming back to work an awesome time for me. A nurse who I feel I could ask any question to and not be made to feel stupid, one that I respect greatly and would trust her to take care of my sick infant in a heartbeat, and one who can make me laugh so hard I can hardly breath. Thanks girl, for helping me get my groove back :)


Being back at work has given me some of my self worth back, more confidence, a lot of fun, and I am starting to feel a little bit like my old self!! Don't get me wrong...I am tired as hell from being up all night...and feel a little rummy from it as well (so if there are spelling mistakes please ignore them) But I was just feeling so blessed I wanted to share it with everyone.

Good night all...

No comments: