Wednesday, July 9, 2008

And sometimes what you do really does matter...

The other day at work a former tiny preemie came in on her 16th birthday to bring us Cinnamon rolls and just to visit. Her Grandmother came with her and wrote to us one of the most beautiful letters I have ever read! I wasn't a nurse when she was born...nor even thinking of being a nurse...but her Grandmother's letter really struck a cord with me. Made me feel like even when I am so exhausted at the end of a 12 hour shift..my back and feet aching...that what I am doing is making such a huge difference in the lives of so many other people. It is not just about the baby, or the mom...it is about the entire unit of people that are a part of that little miracle's life! The line in the letter that struck me the most was this "Babies don't thrive on skills alone. You all bring such tenderness and devotion to each one."
I think sometimes we get wrapped up in the nursing skills we need to preform, along with the charting, the stocking, etc...which are important...don't get me wrong. However; I think we sometimes forget to give ourselves credit for the wonderful human touch we give as well. That Grandmother was right...if we just relied on skill alone, those babies would not grow and thrive like they do.
So, I just wanted to take a second to give all of the amazing nurses I know credit for what they do without even knowing they are doing it. It is what makes us who we are...and what an awesome group to be a part of!

No comments: